Saturday, December 28, 2013

Childhood Winter Memories

Childhood Winter Memories


Photography: Jetta Marie
Poetry: Jetta Marie
Gratitude Of The Day: The wonderful holiday season with my family and friends, and the time I had to reflect on all those happy childhood memories and winter adventures from holidays past.

Childhood Winter Memories

Though now, I am grown
And a bit wrinkled to say the least,
I look forward to those quiet moments
Where I can remember a simpler time,
From the days of childhood imagination.

Where the chill in the winter air
Was not a cause of complaint,
But a time of excitement and wonder
Of frozen worlds and wonders
I now cannot see as clearly now.

A time long ago, 
When snow was not a thought of frostbite
Or a chance to complain of weather,
But a time of explorations and creativity
And endless possibilities

A time when snowmen 
Where not frozen balls of water,
But soldiers to guard your winter tower
As you prepare another attack 
At the tower on the other side of the yard. 
Frozen ammunition is in no short,
And you prepare large stockpiles
Of  frozen weapons
For the battle 
That has been raging since this morning
And shall not end until one is name
Victorious champion for today!
Ho-rah!

The frozen ice on the trees 
Was the spark for an adventure 
To explore a frozen lost world
Where the  princess needing rescuing
From the ice troll,
Who hide among the glistening forest trees.
A single rose 
Buried in the snow
Was our reminder of the treacherous mission at hand,
And conquer we will,
But first the dear Queen insisted 
Upon a hot beverage of sweet chocolate
And a small break in the mission,
For moral purposes 
Of course. 

Tracks in the snow,
From feet far smaller than my own,
Remind me of those days 
Long ago when I was joyed 
With the falling of the snow.
Now I sit with loved ones,
By a warm fire 
With that sweet chocolate beverage
Offered to the warriors of long ago,
And I smile at the memories
Shared by the fire.

Though now I do not battle winter trolls
Or defend my castle with frozen ammunition,
Those memories of  childhood winters
Warm my heart even now,
As I sit with the other winter curmudgeons.

There is such a peace in reminiscing
Of days much simpler than today
And such a reminder in those memories
To stop once in a while
And breath the winter air
With that little childhood spark. 
It is nice to remember simple
Untainted childhood joy.
And so nice to remember what true happiness
Feels like. 








No comments:

Post a Comment