Friday, November 29, 2013

Poem: Generations Of Wisdom

Generations Of Wisdom
Grandfather: Sinclair Gilbert Cannon

Photography: Jetta Marie
Poetry: Jetta Marie
Gratitude Of The Day: The generations of wise men in my family

When I was young,
My Grandfather would sit with me,
And teach me ponder the stars;
He encouraged me to ask questions
Of the universe and world alike,
Yet bestowed on me the wisdom,
Not to offer answers easily.

He taught me how to dream,
How to think for myself, 
And how to never give up learning
Just because no answer was available 
At the present moment I was in.
From him I learned of Past,
And how to build on it for my Future;
In him I found wisdom.

My Father,
Being my Grandfather's child,
brought  similar,
But very different lessons to my view.
Though he did  encourage me to dream,
My father had the challenge 
Of teaching me, 
That dreams cannot emerge
From nothing into something.

 Dreams of greatness have their place,
But They are nothing 
Without the courage to back them
With the hard work it takes
 to make them reality.

My father taught me
To dream,
And how to navigate reality
To make those dreams tangible;
In my father, 
I have found wisdom.

My Brothers,
Though young,
Have the same roots 
As the great men from which they sprang.

In quite moments, 
My oldest brother reminds me
That no matter how big you get,
No matter how tough you think you are,
You always have time for hugs
From the people you hold dear.

He reminds each time I see him,
That there is no excuse 
For being mean to others;
And that a moment to be a kid again
Even if only once in a blue moon,
Can lighten your heart
In ways you did not even know you needed. 

My baby brother, 
Though still learning to understand
The roots of wisdom 
From which he was created,
Reminds me to laugh each day,
And to seek for beauty 
Even if I must look more than twice
To find it under the dust.

Though still a playful youth,
It is awing to me still,
When he smiles his impish grin,
And prompts me to inquire 
Of the " what if's" 
OF the universe around us.

Somewhere, 
Though in a less impish tone,
Those questions of the stars 
Seem all to familiar to me. 
Yet it humbles me to the core,
And send gratitude to every fiber of me
When I ask who taught him to question
on such a profound level,
And all he can say
Is simply put,
"No one had to teach me to dream,
My dearest sister,
I was simply Born to think this way"

In my Grandfather,
I learned wisdom.
In my father, 
I learn it every day.
And in my brothers, 
it will live
And continue,
For all generations to come. 








No comments:

Post a Comment